Friday, January 25, 2013

We Will Never Forget

Hero: A person of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his or her brave deeds and noble qualities.

I've been to New York City twice, and both times I visited the 9/11 memorial.
The first time we ate lunch in a cute little diner right next to the World Trade Center.
On the walls were plaques and pictures of the survivors and helpers.
One sign was an award for brave help during the tragedy.
That was when I realized that the restaurants and shops and apartments next to the World Trade Center were probably major relief centers and shelters to hold the injured people.
Can you even imagine?
I can't.

The second time I went to New York, the actual memorial was built.
There were two square waterfall fountains with names surrounding them.
It is so beautiful and sacred.

So why the sudden post about 9/11 when it's January.
Well,
Today I watched a movie called, "8:46"
It was only fifty-five minutes, but it has changed my perspective on life.
Although I visited the sight of 9/11 twice,
the tragedy that happened on September 11th, 2001 hasn't impacted me as much as it did while watching that movie.
It was beautiful.
It was sad.
It was real.
It was inspiring.
And it left me thinking.
How dare I worry about the trivial little things in my life when such a tragedy happened to my fellow Americans.
How dare I think life is hard if I have homework to do, or I don't get enough sleep, or a boy doesn't like me when thousands of innocent Americans died in the most horrific way.
How dare I think life is hard when thousands of families were left without a mom, or a dad, or a sister, or a brother, or a grandparent, or a loved one.
Although twelve years later, my heart still reaches out to the victims, the helpers, and the survivors of 9/11.
They are my heroes.
And I will never forget.


The rest of the quote says:
May live long yet
Live very little.Montaigne



Each stripe is filled with names. ♥ 



Just outside of the diner.



Can you tell how big it is? There were two of them!



Remembering. ♥ 


So proud to be an American. 
God Bless America.

♥ Bekah


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting!! It's a good reminder for all of us to look outside of ourselves when we feel like our lives are so hard. Love you!

    ReplyDelete