Monday, January 7, 2013

The Scientist

Knowledge: The fact or state of knowing; the perception of fact or truth.

Tonight while I was at work
I happened upon a movie called, Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story.
So I watched it.
Do you know who Ben Carson is?
I didn't either.
He is a neurosurgeon who came from a very humble background.
His mom who divorced her husband when Ben was eight, couldn't read and was forced to take odd jobs like cleaning and babysitting.
She didn't want her two boys to be like her.
Ben was receiving bad grades in school and he genuinely believed he was stupid.
His mom knew otherwise and told him that all he needed to know was in his head, he just needed to find it.
So one day she turned the TV off that the kids were watching and told them that they could only watch two shows per week,
They couldn't play with friends until their homework was done,
And they had to read two books and write reports on them every week.
Although the boys complained, it ended up blessing their lives immensely.
Ben ended up graduating from high school as third in his class, pass Yale's program, and make it into the internship program at John Hopkins Hospital.  (Only 2 were chosen out of 125 candidates.)
He later became head of the Neurosurgeons in John Hopkins hospital, completing many rare and dangerous operations. 
But why am I taking the time to write this?
Maybe because I am procrastinating my homework.
But mostly because I was inspired.
I was uplifted and enlightened by this modern genius.
He became one of the best Neurosurgeons in the world.
One part of the movie that really stood out to me was his trust in God.
God was a huge part of Ben's life.
Before each operation, he would pray.
He would say to God, "Thy will be done."
I was inspired to seek out more knowledge in my life.
I was inspired to appreciate the education and opportunities that have been handed to me in my life.
I was inspired to trust in God: to know that He really does have a plan for me, and I have to trust in Him and do His will.
Thank you Ben Carson, for changing the world, one operation at a time.


♥ Bekah



No comments:

Post a Comment