Monday, December 17, 2012

Genius Next Door

Luck: Good fortune; advantage or success, considered as the result of chance.


Have I mentioned that my dad is a genius?
Well he is.
He wrote this story
(Go ahead, enlighten yourself.)

It is entitled:
The Lucky Duck

there once were two ducks
larry and jerry
jerry thought larry was a lucky duck because he always got lucky
"you're a lucky duck, larry" he would say
when larry won the paddling competition in the annual duck olympics, jerry said, "you're a lucky duck,"
when larry got picked to play the lead role in the school play, jerry said "you're a lucky duck."
when larry got picked as student
 of the month, jerry said "you're a lucky duck."
one day they decided they wanted to tryout for the "dangerous ducks" baseball team
larry got up and practiced his pitching by throwing a ball at the fence 500 times a day
jerry got up every day and thought about what it would be like to play baseball as he floated on the lake
larry got up every day and practiced hitting 500 times a day
jerry dreamed about being a great hitter while he went water skiing
larry practiced catching fly balls by catching 500 balls a day
jerry imagined catching the game winning fly ball to win the quack river championship as he went fishing
the day arrived, and they both went to tryouts - they were both so nervous
larry had a great day - he hit, caught and pitched like a pro
jerry had a bad day, he struck out, missed balls, and couldn't throw straight
larry got a call later in the week saying he made the team
jerry got a call later in the week saying he didn't make the team
jerry waddled sadly over to larry's house and asked if he got a call yet
larry said "yes, I made the team."
larry asked jerry if he made it
jerry said "no, I must have had a bad day at tryouts."
larry said "i'm sorry jerry, I must have just gotten lucky again."
then jerry said, "man larry, you're a lucky duck."
"I guess so." said Larry

Brilliant, right?
Sometimes I feel like Jerry.
And I feel like everyone else is simply a lucky duck.
But the truth is, I'm not giving the effort or putting the work in that I need to.
My new goal is to give that effort and put that work into everything that I really do want to succeed in.
This includes my math homework, my piano playing, my photography, my piano, my kazoo playing, my communication with God, my spiritual nourishment, etc.

Just a thought for this lovely Monday.
Have a great day.
Or morning.
Or evening.

♥ Bekah

No comments:

Post a Comment