Friday, November 23, 2012

Birthday Girl

Birthday:The day of a person's birth.

Today is my eighteenth birthday. 
(Wow, I never thought I'd get to this point in my life.)
Crazy.
Unreal.
EXCITING.
I feel so old, and yet so young.  Life as I know it is ending, and yet it is just beginning.  To document this journey in my life, I've decided to start this little blog of mine.  Just for funsies.
I'm starting it on the first day as an eighteen year old: as an adult: as a person able to by dried ice.  I don't know where I'm going to end up in life. But I do know one thing: that I want to remember how I got there.
I want to remember the things that made me laugh.
That made me cry.
That made me pray.
That gave me faith.
That made me smile.
That gave me strength.
That changed me.
That made me who I am.
And if this silly little blog of mine can help me remember even one of those things, then I'll be happy.

So my birthday? Well, it has been AMAZING.  I'm not going to lie, I was actually dreading the birthday party part of my birthday this year.  I didn't know what to do for it, or who to invite.  I mostly felt like staying at home and reading a good book or editing pictures or writing a song or something else introverted, but then my mom said I should go ice skating.  And I was like, "What the heck. Why not?" So I picked up my home phone the old fashioned way (my cell was dead, you see) and I called some friends up.  And you know what's crazy? Most of them said yes! So then we went ice skating today.  For my eighteenth birthday.  And I had a really enjoyable time. I actually forgot how much I enjoy ice skating.  I went for my eighth birthday then for my thirteenth or fourteenth birthday and then for my eighteenth.  You might say it's kind of a tradition for me.
(I'll know a man is really serious about me when he takes me ice skating and holds my hand and tries to catch me when I fall.)
Then we came home and Sierra, my cousin, and I took pictures of me with my eighteen balloons.  (I REALLY wanted eighteen balloons for my birthday, but my dad didn't want to buy them for me. I begged and begged this morning until he finally agreed to let me go buy some for myself if I bought eggs too. So I took my cousins and little brother and sister and bought eighteen colorful balloons.) I LOVE THEM. Here's my favorite two pictures:

(Do you like my new polka dot sweater?? My mommy bought if for me. She's the best.)

So that was definitely a highlight of my birthday. Then I created this lovely little blog and had Cafe Rio for dinner.  It was the first birthday dinner where we haven't gone to Timpiniaki (is that how you spell it?) but you know, it wasn't even that bad.  Just different.  And I LOVE Cafe Rio, so I wasn't complaining.  While my steak burrito was digesting, I opened my presents from the fam bam. (Other than my twin, the other five siblings are ten and under, so most of the presents are home made or re-gifted.) Nick, the ten year old gave me a paper that says, "Kisses" on top with a box under it.  Apparently he kissed the paper so whenever I get lonely, just put my cheek against it and it's like he's kissing me. GENIUS.  Then Nathan (the four year old) gave me a very special walking duck.  The only problem is that one of the legs is broken, so after winding the duck, it awkwardly stumbles in a circle.  He's very thoughtful.  And Samantha gave me a hug.  (But a very special one!) My wonderful parents gave me earrings that say "Dream" on them because I'm, well, a dreamer.  They also gave me a certain amount of money for clothes, camera equipment, books, etc. BEST PARENTS EVER.  Then over chocolate cake and mint ice cream, we played the "no smiling" game where my dad can literally make anyone smile.  It's ridiculous.  And hilarious. I haven't laughed that hard in a really, really long time.

Today I've been really grateful for all the truly amazing people in my life.  My friends (facebook, neighborhood, and school who are so so thoughtful), my family who continue to bless and strengthen me in this journey called life, and God who gives me infinite blessings, makes it possible for me to get through day to day trials, and helps me see who I really am: a Beautiful Daughter of God.

Well, I hope I don't make all of my posts this long or else I'm going to write a novel before long.  But that would be okay too, I guess.
Have a lovely_____(Fill in the blank to whenever you're reading this.)

(I really wanted to find a way to tie in my title "The Way I Am" to the end of each post, but I couldn't think of any for this one.) Oh well, I guess that's just the way I am.

Love this silly little birthday girl, Bekah.







    

No comments:

Post a Comment